Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Let me paint a picture...

Sometimes the best runs are spontaneous, beautiful works of art.

I started out this morning. The sky was grey, and I knew it was going to be windy. I was tired, and was soooo tempted to hit the snooze button one more time, knowing that if I did I would miss the bus.

But I didn't. And I'm oh so glad.

I decided to strike out on a new path. I wound my way toward town, along the strip mall, and then made a quick left. Suddenly it was as if I had left that old crazy world behind. The car dealership was replaced by silos. The pizza shop was now a farm. I was in heaven. It was warm (but not too warm). The breeze blew through my hair.

I crossed the railroad tracks with Alison Krauss playing in my ear. And then I saw them. Big beautiful green fields, covered with sea gulls. Still. Eating breakfast. As I came up to them, they started to fly low to the ground next to me... first one, then two, then 10, then 20... hovering just inches above the ground. I felt as though I had taken flight.

I hope you all get a chance to "take flight" this week. I can't wait to revisit this run. I know it won't be the same again, but just the memory of today's magic will make it special every time I return.

2 comments:

Habeela said...

This sounds like the greatest kind of ride!

Danielle said...

Ah...love those runs...it's been too long since I found a new route.