Thursday, September 27, 2007

Still here!

Yes, I am still alive. School is CRAZY! But I love it, I really do.

And, I think I have managed to somehow find the happy medium - what I can do vs. what I should do. I have decided that sticking to a rigid schedule right now just isn't going to work for this first year of teaching. It might actually mean giving up triathlon and racing in general for another year. There is just too much to focus on.

This is not to say that I'm sitting around! I have decided that in order to take care of my kids, I need to take care of myself as often as possible. With a rail trail just a mile away, there is no excuse not to exercise! Every chance I get, I grab my mountain bike and head on down for 40-60 minutes of varied paces. If I'm tired, I just go slow. If I feel okay (but was still contemplating a nap - something I haven't done YET!), I go "one-notch-above" what I think would be leisurely. (I'm pretty proud that I've figured out that pace... I can go for a very long time! And, if I'm feeling adventurous, I go pretty darn hard.

The weird thing about the bike is that I've always noticed that the first 5 minutes just suck... no matter what I feel like before starting. There is just no getting around it. I feel drained and my quads feel trashed. I tell myself just to give it a few minutes. And, inevitably 15 minutes later, I'm happily sailing along... Weird stuff! Note: I don't even ride everyday. Right now I'm averaging 3-4 times a week, consistently.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Life is different now. Really different. I keep hearing that the first year of teaching is the worst... So, I'm just going to put my head down and get through it, and hope that next year I might have a LIFE! :)

6 comments:

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Sounds like you are finding your own groove. That's great! There will be plenty of races when you're ready.

Brent Buckner said...

Hey - active healthy lifestyle. That's all we need!

Danielle said...

Just being healthy and active is good. Sounds like you are doing well and I'm really happy for you.

Joe B said...

Glad to hear you are still plugging away. Keep it up.

rocketpants said...

Hang in there...get what you can in. Sounds like things are great even if they are hectic. You'll get through it and be great!

Brooke said...

Just dropped by for a quick glance in on your new life. Glad you are still blogging. I know what you mean about the quads...mine talk real loud for the first 15 minutes on the elliptical and then they settle down for a loooooong workout with narey a squeek. Enjoy your first teaching year....this is what great stories are made of for a few years down the road. ~Kelley