Monday, June 05, 2006

RR: Ludlow Sprint Triathlon

Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Sprint Triathlon
June 4, 2006, 8:00am
Course: ½ mile swim; 14 mi bike; 4 mi run
Weather: 57-60F, light rain
Goal: Finish the swim. Have fun on the rest.

Short story: I met my goals… and then some. Vindication is sweet, indeed.

Long story: It’s been 9 long months since my second triathlon. That’s a long time to have the memory of getting towed in from very choppy water. It was the right decision at the time, but I’m happy to say that I’m a much more seasoned swimmer after this winter and spring. Still, it was with a good amount of trepidation that I went into this triathlon. I guess you could say that I’ve fallen in love with this sport through the training. Which makes sense, I guess… Seeing as that’s how I spend the majority of my time. So, this spring, I took a chance and registered for 4 (soon to be 5) triathlons… Which meant things had to start going better at the race scene.

So, I set about preparing myself for this race. I wanted to leave no unknowns. I biked the course the week before, so I knew that there was one challenging yet short hill and a bunch of rollers (but also some nice flats and descents). I checked out the pond while I was there too, and found it to be pretty warm and clear.

I also had a HUGE upgrade in equipment. I bought a new bike just before my marathon, and it’s fabulous. Then, just a week before the triathlon, I bought a wetsuit. And, ohmygosh, does it make a HUGE difference! The Thursday before the race, my training partner (Jo) and I went to Puffers (freezing) pond. It was COLD. So cold that putting my face in the water was a huge challenge. We swam across the pond and back – Probably one of the smartest things I’ve ever done.

So, the night before, Jo came over and we went to dinner. For some reason, I was jonesing for buffalo chicken pizza. That decision would haunt me later, but it tasted good at the time. We went back and I went through my gear. Sunscreen was added to the list, having learned from my lobster mistake in Nashville. We chatted about our season, Jo convinced me to set the clock a ½ hour later, and then we headed to bed. As usual, this was just an exercise in futility, but I just concentrated on resting.

Race morning.
Rumble, rumble, rumble. Is that thunder? Erm, no. That’s my stomach. Ugh. Two trips to the bathroom later, and things seem to settle down. I get dressed in a jiffy (wearing my Nashville marathon t-shirt… that helped a bunch with the butterflies.) and before I know it, Jo is saying we should go! What?! I’m just a tad annoyed (this is why I wanted to get up earlier!), but we get going and get on the road. Thankfully, the week before I had worked out the kinks in the directions (actually my lack of direction sense… I ended up going 30 miles out of my way… the WRONG way the previous week for my practice ride.), so we get to the race site with no problem.

I park. Jo heads off for coffee (as she’s spectating, and it looks to be a nasty day). I get the bike off and then realize that I need to put my purse in the trunk. Not wanting to open the trunk and seem so obvious, I go through the back seat… and promptly gouge open my middle finger. Blood everywhere. Ugh. Well, at least I got my injury out of the way for the day, I think. Get the first aid kit and bandage up the offending finger. Get my (very heavy) bag, bike, help a man pump up his tires (his pump kept flying off of the valve), and finally get to the transition site.

Things are pretty organized, so I get set up. I’ve pretty much packed for every kind of weather. Shortsleeve shirt, longsleeve shirt, jacket, two pairs of socks, and lots of plastic bags. Jo comes to visit… I’m intensely jealous of her nice, hot, steamy cup of coffee, but realize that the upcoming gymnastics I will perform to get into the wetsuit will keep me plenty warm. I’m very happy of my bike rack placement, because it seems that I’m in the midst of other young women trying the wetsuit at a race for the first time. We all jump around, adjust and readjust and get a good laugh.

Finally, I head down to the pond. I go for a short swim around the first buoy, and I’m immediately ever-so-thankful that I went to Puffers on Thursday. This water is warmer and clearer… And I am well prepared. I practice my mantra: “I am a calm swimmer.” Danskin peeps will know what I’m referring to… J

They announce the wave order. Men. Women. Clydesdale Men. Ugh. Are you kidding me?! Oh well.

We sing the National Anthem. My friend Dan (the one that ran the last 6.2 miles with me in Nashville) had mentioned that when I hear that anthem before any race, it will make me think of Nashville. I remember thinking that was a bit odd at the time…. But, he was right. I think of that day, of the beauty of pushing through whatever limits I thought I had. And then I think of this day, and of the promise that it holds, if only I can remain calm and steady. I can do this. I am ready. BRING IT!

The swim.
The blue caps go. And then we go. I had lined up in the back, so I just wade in behind every one, and start to swim once all of the kicking feet are out of harm’s way. As usual there’s a bit of contact, but no drowning or choking. I settle in to a nice rhythm. I-AM-A-CALM-SWIMMER. Over and over. I’m managing to keep on course really well (as I’m sighting at the end of every chant). Just as I reach the last buoy of the out and back course, I feel a strange churning. I realize that I’m being overtaken by the Clydesdale men. Oh well. It’s my swim, and I only want to finish this.

I get going on the way back, thinking that this will probably feel shorter. It does… Until I suddenly become the recipient of the grab and pull… three times over. After the third time, I realize that while I’m trying to remain calm, this has to stop. I finally kick really hard and get out of the situation. I paid it no more mind and just kept swimming. (keep on swimming, keep on swimming, swimming, swimming…. Who am I?) Finally, I see the shore, and I see these people start to wade in. I pass a few of them by just swimming as far as I can. I get up. I’m elated. I conquered my nemesis. 18:48. Honestly, I don’t care if it took me a YEAR to finish. I’m just glad that it didn’t involve a boat or a lifeguard. And I feel…. STRONG.

Jo is at the chute, yelling her head off. It was so good to have her there! I get going to the transition area, wrestling with the wetsuit. I get the top half off, take off the cap and goggles and run to my bike. I finally just give up and sit on my towel to yank the sucker off. Phew!

I look around at what everyone else is wearing. Air temp is maybe 60F. Light drizzle. I go for the two shirts (short under long). Turns out to be the perfect choice. I get everything situated and clomp-run the bike out to the road. Attempt to clip in. And again. Deep breath. I am a calm biker. Finally I get it settled in and go… T1: 4:44

The bike.
I’m flying. Speeds of 17-20 mph. I have this constant thought: How the heck does this work? How do I race this sucker, but keep enough oomph in the legs for the run? I settle in what I think is a bit less than all-out effort. I spend a LOT more time in the aero bars than I have been. Some short climbs pass, and then comes the monster turn (which of course you have to slow down for) and a short, very steep climb. Uuuugggghhhh. Get there! Guh. That hurt. I spend the next ½ mile or so recovering, trying to remind myself to drink. This is a challenge today due to the cool temps.

Finally, I’m coming back to life (or so I think) when I see the chicken cross the road. Blink Why is the chicken crossing the road? Blink That’s REALLY a chicken (err, rooster) crossing the road… Right?! I’m going to hit the chicken crossing the road in a minute, if he doesn’t pick it up. Move, stupid chicken! Little bastard is all high and mighty and I have to actually brake for him. (Darn, it wasn’t that hard of a hill! Note to self: Must practice hills more to avoid hallucinating chickens…. Err, the chicken wasn’t hallucinating… Gah. You get my meaning.)

Post chicken, things are fairly good. I only see a HUGE dead frog and hope that he isn’t a casualty of a cyclist. (Yuck!) I pass a gal with my shoes and tell her nice shoes! She’s like, “Uh, thanks?” until I pass her… I hear her shout, “OH! You too!!!” (They’re pretty rare… bright pink and gray.)

Then I decide that I need a gel. I’m going into a head wind a bit, and I don’t want to bonk on the run. I grab one of these new 4X sodium Power Gels and rip open the top with my teeth. For some reason, I’m concerned about putting the little tab into my bento box, so as not to litter and all of that…. And in the process manage to dump a ¼ of the packet all over me, my bento box, and my bike. What a mess!!!! The stuff is on my water bottle, all over my bike (guess what I did after the race?), on my shifters, my brakes. *&^%! It’s worth a good laugh, though. Rookie. The rest is pretty uneventful. I get to transition and dismount without further calamity. 52:00 for 13.7 mi (15.8 mph!!! – Training avg. is 14.4 – holy cow, where did that come from?)

T2 is uneventful, although I’m starting to think that lace locks might be a good idea. I briefly chuckle as I remember Bob’s recent RR – “How Bob tie laces?” 1:44

The Run.
First thought: I need to do more bricks. I have a side stitch, and then to make matters worse, my right calf starts to cramp. Okay, walk it out. I get passed by a really nice guy. He tells me I’m looking great, and to keep going. I tell him, “Yeah, thanks! You too! I’m just going to have a little conversation with my calves first, and then we’ll be good to go.” That gets a chuckle and things settle down. First mile is 11:25. Kinda pokey. I take it up a notch and mile 2 passes in 10:46. Better-- but still (Hmm, maybe I pushed just a tad too hard on the bike….). Around this time I realize I have to pee. Badly! It makes my stomach feel awful, and I decide to walk a bit. Mile 3: 11:16. I pass a really nice lady when I start running again, and she gives me some advice to breathe deeply. It works and I sprint to the finish, with the last mile at 9:17. (The course was short…. I’m thinking 3.9.) 42:15; 10:50 avg. Final time: 1:59:28

This was a great race. It was very well organized, with a TON of very cheerful volunteers and police (that’s saying something considering it was cold and rainy). The post race food was good too. Beyond all of that, having the support of a friend willing to push you a bit and show you that you can achieve your goals is priceless.

On a personal note, there’s just something very fulfilling about conquering your demons. Even if it takes 9 months. Now that the swim monkey is off my back, I’m feeling a lot more confident about the 4 more triathlons I have planned (Or, at least that the registration fees were money well spent!). Next up in three weeks is Webster Sprint, and 2 weeks after that is my first Olympic triathlon (Fairlee, VT). I can’t wait.

9 comments:

Brett said...

Great race! Glad your swim fears are conquered!

Danielle said...

Congrats on a great race and conquering the swim demon. You're going to have a great summer!

Born To Endure said...

WOW!! Congrats to you...that was a great race report. You will be so strong by the end of this summer and look back and say..."piece of cake"...:-D

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

YEAH! What a strong race for you! That's a nice run after a fast bike split. Congrats.

Julie B said...

Great race!! I'm glad that monkey is off your back..gee, I know how that feels! Good work out there.

Habeela said...

Awesome race and awesome report! So motivating!

Cliff said...

I gotta keep that "I am a calm swimmer" in mind...

Good job girl. You did great. That chicken is funny.

As for the run, try doing small steps first and also slow down on the bike when u are almost finish. On Sat, i did a 4 hr ride and ran for 15 min. The run felt great. The reason was that I was so tired by the end of the ride, I was barely spinning. Despite the tired legs, i felt i could run for a lot longer.

TriDaddy said...

Great job! Especially with getting that freezing pond swim in!

Hollyfish said...

Awesome race and race report!!! There's so much mental about this sport and you did a great job keeping control of your emotions and mindset!! Bring your suit to our ride and we'll do a quick out and back swim so you have a good feel for the water at Fairlee too... can't wait!!