Friday, June 16, 2006

You people are geniuses! (I'm feeling rather stupid.)

I have never been so happy and proud to have a blog in my life.

I did NOT think I was low on carbs. I was thinking calories (yes) and good fat (almonds, fish, avocado, lean meat). As it turns out, this could be a trifecta. I honestly think the only thing I was getting enough of was protein. And, you all thought I even needed more of that. Basically, I think the moral here is: More is more.

The calories were quite subpar. As Spence helped me figure out... My BMR is 1700. That diet was giving me 1500. Ummm, that's not freaking going to work!

After you started saying that I needed more carbs, I picked myself up off the floor, and realized you were RIGHT! My ass has been dragging hardcore. Like move 5 steps and feel like I hit the wall. I've been tired in a way I never have been. My *muscles* have been just absolutely fatigued beyond all measure, and I was starting to wonder what was wrong with me. It was an effort to lift my friggin' arm. NOTE: This is how you feel after a week of carb depletion!!!! It has a MAJOR effect.

So, yesterday (after realizing how much I was craving a loaf of bread), I went to the grocery store (this was after our open swim... I was absolutely ravenous) and ordered a 6" roast beef grinder. Normally these are so filling that I can only eat 1/2 at a time... I wolfed the entire thing down. I don't even think I bothered to chew. So freaking hungry and carb starved. Then last night, I had my usual chicken fair (Shadow: I can still only manage a 1/2 breast.... You're a machine!), with salad, brown rice, and a small piece of jalopeno blue corn bread for dessert. I left the table feeling satisfied and happy that I had prepared a well balanced meal for a change. It amazed me that my plate was full (what a beautiful sight!).

I got to bed at a good hour (sheesh, it was still light!), and woke up feeling GREAT! Lesson learned!!! Food is fuel! While I think I managed to cut the crap and most of the bad sugar, I think I just went and cut everything out. I'm not a friggin' rabbit. I'm willing to bet that my workouts go a TON better now. This week has sucked donkey balls.

So, now I am well fueled (or getting there) for my practice ride with Spence! My training partner and I are going to drive up tomorrow and ride the Fairlee course. Then we're going to swim (test the waters so to speak) and grab lunch. I can't wait! Report to follow.

Have wonderful weekends everyone!
Yay for Carbs.

6 comments:

Cliff said...

Carb is your best friend ;)

I am glad u got your energy back. If u can cut most of the bad sugar from your diet, that's a already a big step in eating right.

Hollyfish said...

Rock on, woman!!! Glad that dinner helped so much!!! We can talk more about all this while we ride...looking forward to it!!!

kay_elle said...

I'm glad things are going well for you Jen. Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

also, in looking at your protien mix, it doesn't appear that you have much in the way of iron rich foods. endurance athletes, especially women, need lots of iron. you might consider adding some red meat, lentils or spinach salads into the mix, or consider taking an iron suplement. have fun this weekend!

Kewl Nitrox said...

It's so great to figure out the diet and feel that "boost" in energy. Yay!

The Fool said...

Jen! Thats great news! I know you are trying to lose some weight. Maintaining your fuel/energy level is hard to do simultaniously with a weight loss goal......Lots and lots of aerobic work in the 60-70% range will help a lot. Going over 70% *may* cause you body to require re-fueling, which is counter to the weight loss idea. Keep those carbs high quality! (Don't settle for a quick fix low grade twinkie).

Have a great ride today! (DHB and I had a great ride yesterday.....He's such an awesome biker.)

M