Friday, March 16, 2007

Frustration Strikes Again

Well, this week, I've been side-lined ONCE MORE by something that felt frighteningly like a heel spur. I'm guessing that this came on the heels (ha ha) of my last run... too much too fast. This is getting old, old, OLD. I can honestly say that I've never had this many problems with injuries...

And it's getting scary. I have a race in six short weeks. A big race. One that I can't just show up to and hope everything turns out okay. Beyond that, I have the biggest race thus far in August. And there is no base. None. Every time I get going again, I have some other annoying injury that needs rest and ice. I'm really not sure what to do.

Meaning... I'm starting to think that I can't do the 1/2 marathon. I need a rhythm. I need to get it going. I just seem to be going in so many other directions right now.

Deep Breath. Ok. Well, it is what it is. I'm actively searching for a job. That is showing some promise, but honestly it's like having a second job. It takes time. It takes workout time, some days.

Well, the good news is that after three days of rest, ice and ibuprofen, my foot feels great. I'm glad I didn't run yesterday, as that would have been pushing it. I need to figure out the cause of all of these problems.

1. Too much too soon. Pretty sure this is the cause of the PF and shin splints before, but I was trying so hard to be careful this time... Maybe I just can't do speed work until after the 1/2 Mary...

2. Not enough variety. Or not enough stretching. I know I function better with yoga. I didn't go this week.

3. Not enough focus. Or not the right focus. Perhaps PRs aren't the way to go this year... Maybe I should just enjoy the experience and get settled with job stuff.

4. Shoes? Nah...just got new ones, they seemed better.

5. Current job is very physically demanding already... It could be that the demanding nature of speed work (or sometimes any workout) might just be too much (ack! it sounds like I'm getting old!) I've finally gotten to the point where my legs and body don't ache morning, noon, and night just from working. That's progress. Perhaps I just need to take it more slowly for now.

So, where to go from here:
Foot is better. I will get to the gym tomorrow and run for 30 minutes. Do stretching and crunches. I will eat a good diet and drink water. Focus needs to be injury prevention and consistent base building. Speed work needs to wait, me thinks.

Okay, thanks for reading through that. I was in a bad spot. It's going to be fine, but coach, I could use a phone call :)

I hope every one had a wonderful St. Patty's day!

4 comments:

Joe B said...

Spped work. Did I give you speed work?

You should focus on the half as a train through for your fall race. Don't think of it as a race. Ride or swim the day before. Heck Ride AND swim the day before. You will be fine.

Also can you pool run? That might help your recovery.

The Fool said...

Slow and steady 'Zilla!

It's easy to get impatient and try and do tooo much tooo soon. Try not to think of the PR, and let it come on it's own. ATTEMPTING the PR is WAY more important that ATTAINING the PR!

Also: I have heard PF can kick up for a variety of reasons. Don't blame your increase for it.

And: If its truly a spur, that I can't believe would happen due to a single run.

So Stop kicking yourself will ya? Especially with your bad foot. :-)

Injuries? yeah, fun. Remember that it's mostly the body adapting to increased stresses (not only the mental ones'). The weak link breaks every time, we fix it, and find another one that breaks. (or maybe the same one over and over for some of us).

ANYWAY: Chin up, do what needs doing, and your mental attitude means EVERYTHING.(Keep thinking: Heal heel....Heal heel...)

Brent Buckner said...

Base. Non-exciting, but necessary for just about everyone.

Healing wishes.

Isis said...

I sympathize with your injuries! I just wrote a post of my own about similar frustrations. So, solidarity!

(p.s. Found your blog from Spence's: I really enjoy it.)