Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Chilly New England Day

It's one of those dreary days. The ones where you want to shut the window, turn off the alarm, and climb back into that warm bed. I'll have to settle for a nice cup of tea, I suppose.

I finally slept. So, that's a start. I'm still physically exhausted enough to make me think that I might be fighting some low level bug. Walking up to my building was tough this morning. Weird.

So, I'm not sure exactly why this is happening, but I'm noticing that I'm getting lax about my diet again (even with my goals posted on the sidebar). I think part of it is that I'm not in hardcore training, so it's hard for me to think food = fuel. It's good to realize that this is a particular problem, I suppose, but I need to go a step farther and fix the problem. Hopefully I can start running (easy) again this weekend and that will help the focus. I'm still swimming and biking, but with the emphasis on recovery, not training. Or, maybe I just need to be a little lax right now and give myself a break? Dunno, I've just never felt this way. Now I feel like I'm blathering on.

So, I'm thinking about running the Chicago Marathon. But it's weird. It's like the more I think about it, the more I'm just not sure I want to go. It's not really the expense (although $90 is a lot right now, especially with triathlon registration looming.). It's more about the training. Now that I know what a time commitment that is... Guh. I'm just not excited about it like I was CMM. I'm going to sit on it a while longer. Maybe after I get a few *enjoyable* runs under my belt.... Maybe it's that the last one was just so torturous.

Maybe it's just the weather...

11 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

You still have TIME to bounce back after CMM. Allow yourself a full 26 days, one per mile! It's NORMAL to feel unmotivated and slightly adrift after such a big achievement!

Jenö said...

Give it time, 'Zilla. Your body has taken a huge pounding (someone once told me that in a marathon your feet deal with about the same amount of weight as a 747 on landing, but it could be just anecdotal).

Even after you start to feel like you are completely "better", your body is still going to be working overtime to fix the damage. You are susceptible to all sorts of stuff in the weeks that follow a marathon, so don't beat yourself up over taking it easy!

Chris said...

I'm guessing you're probably still recovering from the CMM. Give it some time. I think once your body recovers fully, the motivation will slowly come back!

Holly said...

Sounds like some post-race blues... mixed in with the chilly weather ... This too shall pass!! In the meantime, enjoy an extra nap or two! You have earned it!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Let me add my voice to the "post race blues" chorus. A marathon is a very long way to run. It takes time to recover, especially given how hard you fought for your race. Recovery includes our motivation and eating, too. Give it time. It will come back around.

SRR said...

Enjoy recovery! And take it easy! I just signed up for Chicago. Let me know what you decide. You're doing great!

Cliff said...

Marathon requires a lot of time to heal. Just take it easy for the next few days. You are already thinking of doing a second marathon? Crazy girl :D.

I hear the Chicago marathon is really big . Someday I will do ti as well. Can you imagine 40,000 epople running with you? It is like a rock concert.

KLN said...

Listen to your body. If it needs rest after CMM, it needs rest. You're doing it a favor.

And the weather surely stinks. It's even colder and windier and wetter where I am. May 10, and 40s. YUCK.

Andy Emerson said...

Hang in there and give yourself a week! I think recovery after your first marathon is the toughest. If you decide to do another one, it probably will be a little easier. However, you'll probably have the blahs to a certain extent no matter what.

Jennifer P said...

Ditto to all of the above. Not to mention give yourself a break mentally. Focus on that tri, you don't want that handsome bike going to waste!

Danielle said...

I can relate to the blahs...we had great weather and now it's chilly and gloomy...not something to look forward to. I wanted so bad to stay in bed this morning myself. However, the fact that you are so intersted in doing another one already is amazing. I didn't even consider doing two in my first year...now I'm definitely doing two this year (and this was after I almost retired from the distance after Chicago), you definitely need to relax, recover and get through the blahs. You should have the time to get through your first tri before you have to register for Chicago, and once you are training for the tri, I bet you get some motivation back.