Thursday, May 11, 2006

A little slack...A little structure

Well, I'm not used to cutting myself slack, but I did it yesterday. I got home, mentally prepared (but sluggish) to go for a bike ride. It was still cloudy, the time was okay, but I was still feeling blah and tired. I thought, "You know, no one is going to blame you if you don't ride today. In fact, it might be a good idea (given the lack of sleep and the extreme exhaustion) to skip it."

So, I did. I rarely listen to that voice, but it seemed to be wise last night. I made a good dinner, watched a movie, took a hot bath and went to bed prepared for a good night's rest. I got into bed, read some of my book and turned out the light at 10pm.

And waited. And waited some more.

11:20pm. I'm still awake. I finally marched myself to the bathroom and took two sleeping pills (the normal dosage). Went to bed. Finally, FINALLY slept.

Until 9 am this morning. Guh.

I've been thinking. I remember during Lent when I gave up everything nasty (all desserts basically) in a drastic way, that my sleeping patterns were like never before. I was sleeping 8, 9, or even 10 hours a night --like a BABY. I think it may be time to look into this again. See, because I don't really have the will power to just have a treat every now and then. And even when I do, I notice drastic changes. Irritability, more cravings (more often), sleeplessness, weight gain.

I've also noticed lately that my will power during the day is good. I pack a lunch, and I'm "allowed" to eat everything in that bag (it's almost all good: nuts, fruit, veggies, good sandwich, a little treat like yogurt covered raisins). But then I get home.... It's all over.

Why is this? Well a large amount of my time is taken with *working*, so I think less about food. (I also stock my desk with sugar free gum and healthy snacks for whenever I get cravings. I also make sure that I drink 48-64 oz of water while at work.) When I'm home, however, my time is less structured. Maybe it's time to rethink that. I've noticed the past few days that I will get to 5 or 6 o'clock with a very good eating day under my belt, only to completely ruin it when I get home. I eat everything (and I mean everything) and anything in site.

For the next few weeks or so, I'm going to come up with a structure to my (limited) time at home:

Arrive home.
Eat small snack.
Exercise: bike ride, run, weights, core (pilates, crunches), hiking
Make good dinner. Enjoy dinner with a lot of water.
Chores (cats, bills, clean)
Quilt, cross-stitch, read, watch part of movie, email, call friends/family or blog.
Shower/Bath.
In bed to read.
SLEEP.

So here we go:

1. Drink more water at home. At least 20 oz + whatever I need to exercise.
2. Drastically cut out sugar/desserts. Look for better alternatives for my body (fruit).
3. Create and follow a structured schedule while at home.
4. Ensure that I'm getting the calorie needs that I need during the day so that when I get home I'm not binging.
5. Consider eating a somewhat larger meal or meals at work and having a smaller meal at night. (giving that a shot today)

6 comments:

Cliff said...

I find dried fruits help a lot in dealing with sugar craving.

I love dried mangos BUT most of the dried mangoes products I have seen are not very healthy (use sulphate as a perservative, color dye etc.)

Right now with my diet where i eat small meals through out the afternoon, at night, i eat very little and sometimes even nothing.

Chris said...

I've got the same problem here. I think a little house cleaning goes a long way. If it's not in the house, you won't be tempted to eat it!

kay_elle said...

Sounds like a good plan Jen. Hang in there. Sugar is evil!!!

SRR said...

Intersting ideas! If structure works for you, then by all means...structure! Good luck!

Danielle said...

I'm the same way with eating good at work (although I have some bad for me stuff here now, mainly sugary stuff, that I can't seem to stop eating!).

I think I like your idea of structure though, it's the only way I'm going to get rid of my last bit of goal weight...and cutting out the candy I cut out during lent!!

KLN said...

Hey, I'm also trying to cut sugar out of my diet, and I'll be blogging about that on Sunday. If you would like to be sugar-free buddies, email me!