Monday, May 22, 2006

Interesting Weekend

It was an interesting and restful weekend.

Here are a few things I learned:

1. The small bike pump I have attached to my old bike actually DOES have a presta valve fitting!

2. The small bike pump does not fit on my new bike due to the triathlon frame geometry and the freakisly short screws they use for attachments.

3. There is a bike shop just 10 miles away from my new apartment!

4. Strangely enough they don't know about CO2 cartridges (but they have them - my new resolution to the bike pump problem... I figured I'd train how I want to race.)

5. The cartridge cannot be stored inside of the inflater without discharging the damn cartridge. Guess how I know? ;) You can however put your smart cap on and figure out that that you can store the inflater disassembled (and then put the cartridge inside of the bottom piece).

6. I'm a blonde. I knew this. I just reconfirmed it.

7. My bike HATES going from the smallest to the middle chain ring (I have a triple.).

8. I can reattach my chain in under 5 seconds. Twice. Note to Jeno: My acronym works wonderfully in these situations.

9. I can out bike a flea-bitten, rabid sounding and looking dog that is ferociously threatening my heels. (Thank goodness he had a crappy bike.)

10. I can yell REALLY loudly at said dog while struggling up a hill as fast as I can, and he will be chained up upon my return. (I do have to admit to calling said dog an a-hole on the return trip, which made me laugh pretty hard.)

11. It was SO SMART to go back to the car to get my jacket.

12. Icecream can be a dinner (although I was *starving* the next morning and informed Cloud 9 we were going out for breakfast as a result.).

12a. Kielbasa, sunny side up eggs, hashbrowns and delish homemade cinnamon toast is not a good pre-run meal.

13. There are thousands of different kinds of spark plugs. Don't ask.

14. Watch the tree. Watch the tree. WATCH THE GD TREE!!!!

15. It's not a real trail run unless I'm dirty, itchy and bleeding profusely.

16. Always call a friend before leaving and upon returning from a trail run (did that.)

17. It will start raining EVERY time you think about doing the groceries.

18. Making dinner is a good distraction from the torrential downpour outside.

19. It's helpful if you actually read the recipe, though.

20. The oven is very hot.

21. The oven is very hot. Yes, I know I repeated myself. Seems like I didn't hear it though, as I burned the crap out of my finger... twice.

22. It's possible to finish grocery shopping in 30 minutes.

23. The new Shimano 105 front derailleur I won from ebay (hence the rushed shopping) may help with my chain issues.... I can only HOPE!

24. My first triathlon is in less than two weeks.

25. Oh Sh!t. My first triathlon is in less than two weeks.

7 comments:

Cliff said...

Don't worry..u are a marathoner now...if your bike breaks down on the tri..just run the bike leg :)

Habeela said...

What's the acronym? When it comes to rechaining my bike I need all the help I can get!

Joe Hess said...

Sounds like you need to tighten your front shifter cable (new bike, new cables, stretch occurs) or if that does not work, the limit screws need adjusted...ie allowes the chain to move too far left....and what are you doing in the Granny Gear anyway...????....

Oldman said...

i tried storing the co2 in the holder duh... now they are in the bag along with the spare tubes, patch kit, tools, and $20 so i can get home. i've also started carring my cell phone, drivers license, health insurance card and another $20 in my cell phone holder. since no one knows me here and i don't have a landline or anyone to answer it - at least i can get into the hospital.

SRR said...

Nice recap...You will be great in your triathlon!

Jenö said...

Five seconds to stick the chain back on? GD that's good! ;)

kay_elle said...

Good luck on your Tri Jen!! Ice Cream is a great meal in my opinion ;)