Friday, May 05, 2006

Maiden Voyage

Guh.

That's about all I have to say about that. I guess I expected bells to ring, or something like that.

I'm talking about the first bike ride. Yesterday. Beautiful blue skies. Me and the bike.

I rushed home to get dressed in my new Otter Pops jersey and loaded the bike onto the car (I live in a valley... legs weren't up to climbing, or so I thought....). We drove to the Quabbin. I had looked at the map, I swear. Topo lines were *very far* apart... I figured I could handle it.

I keep reminding myself that my legs are still trashed (ohmygod, I had completely underestimated that!), but there is now a little fear about that Oly I signed up for (That's probably a good thing.). I think I hadn't been respecting the distance before, but uh, now I do. I went FIVE MILES yesterday. FIVE. I felt like I needed a nap afterwards. How was it that I thought I could RUN? Maybe next weekend. Maybe.

So, I got back and drafted a letter to my bike:

Dear (Unnamed) Bike,

I first met you a few weeks ago. My how handsome you were! You were the first and ONLY bike that I laid eyes on and rode (blush). We had such a great time together in the parking lot, zooming around the building with the mirrored windows - My, how good you made me look! I even tried those funky aero bars - Whew! I was in love. (pitter patter)

So, I paid for you, and took you home. You were cheap, good, and fast - It's rare these days to find all three in one place! We had a little trouble at first with the bike rack. It seems you were a bit more attached to the LBS than I originally thought. But Nice Bike Boy came out, and he had you straightened out in no time (much to my chagrin). I assured you that we would be back to visit. We made that bumpy trip home together, and I lovingly made a place for you in my home. I apologize for making you sit next to The Tank.

I admit to neglecting you for a solid week, but as I explained before (as I stared at you longingly from across the room, afraid of what might happen if I were to grip those handlebars), I had a very important LOOOONNNGGG race to do. And my friends thought that with our relationship being so new, you might hurt me. Because of this, I gave you space so you could get used to your new digs while I prepared for my race. It tore me apart, if you must know.

So, I came back on Sunday, so ready for our maiden voyage. Unfortunately, I had underestimated how tired my legs would feel from said race, and I had to ignore you some more. But, today dawned and the legs felt better. I raced home and quickly primped for our first date, dressing in my new Otter Pops jersey (bright pink to match my shoes). I loaded you onto the car, and we drove to the Quabbin (which I *thought* was flat).

Things started a bit shakily. You must be patient with me, I've never used clipless pedals before. I was so anxious to take you out into the sunshine that I refused to follow anyone's advice about a nice grassy field for one's first ride. Bah Humbug! We didn't need no stinkin' grass! (Although I did think for a minute that you were going to buck me when you weren't shifting properly... Which, I have to admit was my fault... Remember that! You're not going to hear it often!)

You played along fairly nicely until that gargantuan hill. Good golly! You might have helped a little bit! Remember how my legs feel? And then, you were fooling me with your erronious speeds... You LIED to me, you ba$tard! Thank you for making me feel horrible, telling me that I was going 0.0 mph when obviously I was careening down that hill! I mean, throw a girl a bone, will ya! And, what's this about keeping your left brake just out of reach? You know what short arms I have, you punk! Why are you being so distant? You know how downhills scare me.

Anyway... I see that this relationship is going to take a lot of work (on both sides!). I'm going to have to take you back to the LBS (oh, stop crying!) so they can straighten you out. That's right. Just you wait until Nice Bike Boy comes home. Then you'll be sorry. For now, you're going to sit in that corner and think about what you did. I *might* talk to you on Sunday, when I hope and pray that "gargantuan" hill is more like a speed bump. That was embarassing!

In the meantime, I'm going to try to grow a set. 5 Miles. Geesh.

Not so fondly (yet!),
Your Owner

8 comments:

Joe Hess said...

First Congrats on the Marathon, you finished.
Second, just get on the bike and ride...as the famous E. Merckx said, "ride lots."
Third, next time your in town, I show you some hills.... and Im not talking about Centerville Hill...think bigger

Get Some....
Suffer Accordingly

KLN said...

I have faith you can break him in, and he'll be your willing and obedient steed in no time. You go!

Jenö said...

I like the letter! Sounds like part of the script from "The Bike Whisperer"!

Cliff said...

Writing letter to your bike? For a while I thought that post is written by Bolder :)

TriZilla said...

Oh, Yeah, Cliff, you're right... What can I say, I like his style :) No P-Dawgs here though... I think the Word Ver scared them off.

Joe Hess said...

Its like this....

That bike just needs a little Jack,...
Get it all lossened up, then take advantage of it.

Just tell it that "you'll ride it like no ones ridden it before!"

:) said...

Love it! Hilarious.

Papa Tweet said...

Love the post about your bike, which is sweet by the way. Womens specific Specialized hah? Nice choice. I love your blog. Congrats. What marathon did you just complete? I couldn't find the name anywhere. Or did I just miss it? Take care
Benny