Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Trying to turn it around

Lately, I don't know why, but I've been in the WORST mood. I think part of it has to do with the sleep issue (which seems to have been solved with Sleepytime Extra tea, thankthegoodlord). Another part of it has to do with the fact that it's graduation time here at school, which is just one more reminder that I'm still here.

Still here. *sigh*

I have been getting alot more done lately, but then again barely scratching the surface. I'm almost sure that this is what my sleep and irritability issues come from. Every time someone mentions graduation or I see another dissertation defense announced in the elevator or someone asks me when I'm finishing.... I throw up a little in my mouth. I know what the solution to the problem is... but....

My boss mentioned that he was having a picnic this weekend to celebrate the graduations that we've had from our group. First of all: These functions are always incredibly painful. I mean, we all get along wonderfully when he's not around, but once you add that one tinsy tiny variable, it's weird. Like, get-me-the-hell-out-of-here-weird. Like, why-isn't-anyone-talking-weird. Besides that, there's the whole reminder that I'm old, and I'm starting to get lapped. Honestly I'd rather have tacks stuck in the palms of my hands than attend this little get-together. I'd rather run a mile over hot coals in bare feet. I'd rather be tied to a Jeep and driven buck naked over 5 miles of broken glass. So, I'm not going.

So, to try to get myself out of my funk, I just purchased a wetsuit. :) It dawned on me that my tri on 6/4 is going to be very cold, indeed, and I just didn't think that renting a suit on the day of the race (having never practiced in it) was such a great idea. Besides, this sucker is going to pay for itself (with peace of mind... I hear it's easier to swim with one! I did it a long time ago, and honestly I'll take whatever help I can get.).

My run yesterday was tough. Short and tough. I think I'm still dealing with some issues from the marathon (tired, running feels like torture), and my swim today was also tough. Hope the bike is easier. I got some help from a friend and adjusted the front shifter cable so HOPEFULLY that fixes the chain dropping problem. (And boy, does it feel nice to get some experience fixing my own bike!)

About the triathlon: It's my third, actually. But here's the thing... Last year, my second tri (ever) ended up with a tow in. The water was incredibly rough, and given my lacking swim skills, I think I made the right decision to end it. So, this tri, while being a C race, is also very important to prove to myself that I CAN do this.


Really funny story:

So, I'm sitting here and I notice my office mate (we have a divider between us) fighting with a piece of paper that is usually hanging on the end of the divider. I see his long arm come out and thwack the paper back up, only to see it fall back down again. It barely registers, until I see him rummaging in the office supply drawer and lurching around the office. Then he comes back. Now I'm paying attention. He's peeling the tape apart at the top of the sheet, trying in vain to attach the effer back to the divider. Finally, I say, "Are you okay?" His response, "NO!" "Oh, no!, what's wrong!?" He starts to laugh. He tells me that the stupid paper fell off, he's trying to hang it back up, and he can't find any tape... So, he's using what is left at the top (you've all done it, you know it!) to get it to stay. He looks so frustrated (and he's usually so laid back). I started laughing so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It's only funny (hysterical actually) because this is exACTLY how I've been feeling lately. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

5 comments:

Andy Emerson said...

Enjoy the wetsuit! I can't wait to hear how you feel swimming in it.

I'm feeling running is tough too and I guess just the effects of the marathon. I can run, but every hill, feels like a mountain to me. I'm looking forward to the rebuilding process and the GOOD PAIN.

Joe Hess said...

Glad your friend could help you out with your shifting problems. Stay out of the granny gear. If you feel like you need it (the granny gear that is), consider a compact drive. Later...hope all is well.

Jennifer P said...

I can't believe you're having problems with your bike! Mine always behaves! Make sure you take that wetsuit for a test drive before race day!

Cliff said...

The dreaded water :)..in 4 weeks i have to swim 2k open water. I havent' even gone into open water swimming yet. My last (also my first) open water swim is last year in my tri.

I got a wetsuit and i have yet to try it on ;)...on one hand I am a bit anxious..on the other..i am excited...weather is warming up now i can flip flop around in the lake :)

Chris said...

Sorry to hear that you're stressed to the hilt. Hopefully things get better for you soon!

If your chain keeps dropping off the chainring, you probably need to make a slight adjustment to your limit screws. It's pretty easy to do. Let me know if the cable adjustment didn't work and I'll see if I can't walk you through it.